Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Whee...

So, yesterday and today I've had a low-grade migraine, which I've ended up taking advantage of my Midrin and FMLA to stay home and slowly clean the house. It's looking MUCH better, and I'm feeling a little better... I slept through my alarms this morning, due to taking a Midrin at 4 am for a head-achy-ness, so I'm not at work today.


Last night I almost killed Fred, Karma and myself with making some traditional southwestern food... I made puerco rojo (otherwise known as red pork to those gringo folk). This is the dish that the girls at Salvador Molly's first made me when I started interning there for school. They're all from Guatemala, Mexico City, and El Salvador, and pretty much always ended up making the crew chow meal for everyone. I took one bite of the delicious-smelling food and damned-near set my face on fire. Tears came to my eyes, and I could feel the chiles trying to take over my lips. The girls giggled at me and handed me the sour cream and cheese, and I laughed with them - ya, ya - ha ha. You got the gringo girl. Very funny.


The odd thing is, it's addicting. You end up wanting more of it afterwards, and you eventually crave it. LOL. I have no EARTHLY idea why. I mean, honestly - it makes your nose run, your eyes water, and your forehead start to sweat. It makes you cough just by smelling it. And yet - you have to eat more of it, because it's so good. *chuckle* So, for those of you who are curious enough to try some of this, here's the recipe for the rojo sauce... Be warned, however, it WILL kick your ass.


Rojo sauce


6 oz crushed red chiles
2.5 cups water
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp coriander seeds
3 large cloves garlic, peeled


Bring the water to a boil and add the chiles, cumin and coriander. Simmer about 5 minutes or so, stirring. Let cool about 10 minutes and then pour into a blender. Add the garlic cloves, cap, and blend until smooth. It'll change colors to a sort of orange-ish red color.


Chicken and pork are the best to add this sauce to, though you can use it on some of the tougher pieces of beef as well.


For the pork, I cut it up into bite-sized pieces, and add to heated olive oil, turning until just starting to brown. Then add the sauce and turn it down to simmer. Let it go for about 20 minutes or so. If you want to thicken it, you have two options - you can add a fajita seasoning packet to it, which makes it even more spicy and will thicken it, OR you can add some corn starch to it.


This is best served with smallish tortillas, rice, LOTS of sour cream, and either queso fresco or cotija mexican cheese.


~M

No comments: