Wednesday, February 25, 2009

ok... that's about enough of that...

It's now February 25th, 2009, and Barack Obama has been in office for a little over a month.

Oh, shock and awe - he hasn't yet turned around the entire economic failure that our recently defunct president put us in over an 8 year stint in office... I'm amazed. I truly am! I mean, it's so obvious that *anyone* could turn around the current situation within 30 days or less. It's so easy, right? Oh my God! And Goddess! How dare President Obama NOT fulfill every single promise that he made during his campaign, and his presidential speech, within a month. It's absolutely unthinkable! It's ridiculous...

Unless, of course, you consider the amount of money we currently have on the debit side of the ledger... and you consider that it's not *JUST* Obama making the laws here - he suggests them, he can even push for them, and yes, his signature is on the bottom of them - but they do have to be put through an entire panel of congress - BOTH PARTIES, mind you, and have a majority pass in order for it to reach him again... Oh, and most times, in order to do that, the original idea gets moved around, changed, tweaked and otherwise twisted to fit the majority of those within congress so that the law will pass...

Oh, and let's not forget that Obama never ONCE said that he was a miracle worker. He never ONCE said that he was going to be able to do all of this within a month's time and after that the US would come up smelling of roses and sunshine, and everyone would have tons of money sprouting out their ass. Not once.

Let's also not forget, for all of those who sit there, smug as can be about there not yet being a change, that for all of your fears and all of your pissiness, he's still your president. Why? Because until you move out of the US and give up your citizenship, you're a member of the US - and he's the current leader of it. Like it or lump it. I may have been absolutely disgusted with the last president and his parties policies and choices, and I certainly didn't vote for him - but as ashamed as I was to admit that he was, he was still my president.

The current cabinet positions that are empty may stay that way for a while. Why? Because it's a make-or-break opportunity, and a 50/50 chance at getting it done. As for those within his party whom, I have heard, have not yet paid their taxes from last year - I'm not surprised. Then again, I'm not certain most people in congress have correctly filed in years, regardless of their political position. Is it honestly Obama's fault that they, last year, before Obama was in office, did not pay their taxes? No. Should Obama be held accountable for their actions? No - they should... Will they? I suppose that depends on the IRS. I won't hold my breath, but that's only because I'm a realist who knows that those people probably have access to some good lawyers.

In any case, how about a challange for all of those who are still ticked off that Obama hasn't yet turned the country around and made everything "perfect"... Let's see you do it. Let's see you, in all your smarts and glory, get everything done all nice and legal, following the whole procedure that everyone has to do in order to get stuff done, within 30 days. I'd love to see you try.

How about we have a little bout with realism at this point - Get off your fucking high horse, step off your soap box, and start realizing that it's NOT JUST OBAMA... He was NOT the cause of the financial situation we are now in, and the situation is grave enough that it won't take 30 days to pull us out of it. Hell, it could be that he can't get it done in 4 years, for all that we're in debt and in hock up to our sphincters. But at least he's attempting something that the last party did not - listen to the people and attempt to do something for them, rather than for their own pocketbooks.

If you don't agree with me, that's fine - I don't really fucking care. But at least I'm honestly looking at the situation and giving the guy more than 30 days to turn shit around.

~M

5 comments:

Fenris said...

I had no expectation he would turn the economy around one month in. Then again, I have no expectations he will turn the economy around within four years either. However, I will say that if it was ever truly his intention, he's got a hell of an advantage; a congress currently in lock-step with whatever whim he wishes to address, the census shifted to the White House, and new house rules that make it virtually impossible to oppose any legislation coming down the pipe.

Jeanne S said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jeanne S said...

(Deleted previous attempt to comment because the comment frame cut off the links.)

You're right, the financial situation wasn't caused by Obama. It was caused by the greed of countless people. It was also completely preventable, and could have been averted if the Democrats hadn't blocked all attempts to prevent it:
http://tinyurl.com/6xh6bd

Obama actually has done quite a bit in 30 days:
http://tinyurl.com/b2587r

Merripan said...

You aren't going to believe this, but I honestly don't believe that any one person, or any one political party, is responsible for what has happened to our country over the past 8 years. I really am not all that naive when it comes to politics, and I don't believe that Obama is the "cure-all" for our country. BUT - I didn't believe that McCain/Palin was the answer, either - Bush Light (same policies, poorer range of motion) didn't leave me thrilled with the idea of another 8 years of what we already had - which had been proven to not work... And no, as much as you'd like to do so, it's not "all the democrats" fault... It's convenient to blame one group, but honestly, it's not just the democrats. There's a reason why I don't believe everything that's written down, the same as I don't believe everything that's said - regardless of who's doing it, eventually I have to help clean it up. But I do have to have some hope in my little world, as unrealistic as it might be. If I didn't, I'd have already killed myself because of where my family is financially - where we ended up after having had President Bush in office for 8 years.

Anonymous said...

Lil, I am witholding response to your comment so as to avoid a petty feud... But I will say this much: The link you referred to does nothing more than cite that Obama is doing what EVERY president before him has done. You will find precedent for his actions in the actions of his predecessors.