Sunday, November 11, 2007

What, back again?!

Yes, indeed... But really, it's only because I have to write this down while it's still occurring to me to do so.

See, the lucious Lil and I work together. And since she was called in for graveyard, she decided to bring in the baby shower pressie for Fred and I that she hadn't been able to get to us prior (she had to work on the 3rd... stupid scheduling).

So, I come in yesterday and see this very large bag on my desk. Curious, I set everything down, get frozen dinner in freezer and set up my lunch, then open the bag to find...

A really lovely baby blanket she had crocheted in 3 different shades of purple, and white as a base color. It's a zig-zag pattern, that has a really nifty pattern in it - the purples sort of flutter down into the white, and back up again.

The other part was the snoopy diaper bag I'd been wanting - and when I saw Lil next, she told me the story that went along with it, which is super funny (ok, well, it's super funny to me.):

See, my brother (whom she has been "living in sin" (as she puts it) with for the past 8 years), is not so hot on babies - or on pregnant women, for that matter. It's not that he necessarily dislikes them, he'd just rather not be around a person who is so totally ruled by hormones and estrogen that it feels like a mini-hurricane of emotion just to step close to them. I accept and understand that. I can hardly stand myself lately at times for just that reason.

In any case, he decides to brave Babies R' Us in order to gain one diaper bag, and scratch it off my baby shower list. Not only that, but apparently he braved the larger of the two in the area - alone! Lil said he reported afterwards that it was an extremely surreal experience, and he never wanted to go through that ever again. *chuckle*. The worst part, apparently, was having the diaper bag mistaken for a baby (WTF? I cannot see this, but apparently I'm not so far gone as the clerk at the store was). In typical fashion for him, he grinned, picked it up, and shook it in front of the horrified clerk - apparently she realized pretty quickly it wasn't a baby.

I damned near died laughing when I heard that. It's just so... him.

Seriously, though, it took a buttload of guts and love for him to traipse that far out of his normal shopping area, and into a store designed purely to give him the willies just with their advertisements of happy small babies and baby toys (not to mention the interesting torture devices they sell to moms under the guise of helping them through the first years).

Hugs to you, little brother! I promise not to sic Elizabeth on you while she's ill. *wink*

~M

No comments: