Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Pobrecita!

Our dear feline baby is having allergy issues. I'm assuming that it really *was* an upper respiratory infection that she had when she got to us, but some of the symptoms simply haven't gone away - such as the sneezing, and the watery/mucus-y eyes. The poor dear is miserable, and allows me to wipe her face off once or twice a day with a warm, damp cloth... Which shows how truly miserable she is, since normally such things would *not* be tolerated by a cat.

So - today I went online and ordered some homeopathic anti-allergy meds. Since we have no idea whether she could be allergice to dipenhydromene or chlorphentermine (and chlorphentermine is *NOT* recommended for use in cats), I'm going to try the "safe" stuff first. There were 6 reviews from people who said that it worked wonders on their cat, and described the exact same symptoms that Jazzy has been having. So, I figure, while it's a little more expensive than the Rx stuff, I am more willing to try it, since it has very little in the way of side effects listed or mentioned by owners. And, no drowsiness, either, which is a good thing.

I also got another tub of catnip. I'm hoping that, if we can get her nose and eyes cleared up, she will feel LOTS better and be up to exploring a bit more. I'm also considering getting something called "Feline Calmer", which apparently is a pheremone scent for cats that gets them more comfy in their new home or with a new situation. If Jazzy is still skittish by December, I will pick some up and see how she does with it. I don't want her feeling like she has to live under the bed for the rest of her life - she loves people, she's just not sure of how they will treat her, poor baby.

~M

No comments: