Friday, September 21, 2007

Out-stubborning the stubborn...

Or, how to make the ultrasound tech throw up her hands in defeat after 1 1/2 hours of attempts...

Honestly, it wasn't me. It wasn't Fred, either. Both of us were perfectly amenable to what my OB and my ultrasound doc were doing, and neither of us were late or negative in the least...

The BABY on the other hand... well, that was a different matter. Apparently, it was cranky. WAAAAAAAY cranky.

See, my appointments on Tuesday were set up so that there would be about 45 minutes between them. That way, I could get a little something to eat for lunch. I ate breakfast, but didn't take any snacks with me, figuring that I could simply pick something up along the way.

Unfortunately, a call had apparently been placed to Murphy, that weird, wacky guy, and my OB appointment started 47 minutes late. Thankfully, we made it to the 2nd appointment, down at the bottom of the hill, with 3 minutes to spare. Unfortunately, there was no time at all to get anything to munch on.

By the time I'd settled onto the ultrasound exam table, it had been about 4 hours since I'd last eaten, and the baby was having none of it. The tech resident spent a good 45 minutes getting photos of the little tyke, watching it squirm around unhappily and push outwards with little legs and arms in a sort of "I want my space, so get away" move.

At one point, we did find out the sex of the baby - she wasn't happy about getting a good look at arms, legs, the heart or the head, but had no problem showing off pink bits. *chuckle* And yes, it's a girl.

Dr Segal, whom I had spoken with on the phone for the last 5 months on a practically daily basis, came in to do the "official" sign-off photos of the baby. I warned her that things were very active, and the baby wasn't having any of it. She said "Oh, don't worry - I'm stubborn".

After another 30 minutes or so, with the baby going so far as to try and stuff her face up into my belly button to avoid detection, Dr Segal finally threw up her hands in defeat. Apparently she couldn't even get a good picture of a spread-out hand to count the bones in it - baby kept making fists and scrubbing her face with them, or rolling over to show off her butt to the camera.

So, next time, I'm planning on having a turkey lunch with stuffing and mashed potatoes, hopefully to calm her down into some sort of agreement. LOL.

~M

1 comment:

Jeanne S said...

Thank heavens I was right about the gender. One of these days I'm going to be wrong, and then I'll feel awful.