Saturday, August 04, 2007

Sadness...

It seemed for a while that Shady was getting better... Unfortunately, it seems as though the impacted and distended bowel she had been diagnosed with and suffering from for some time now has caught up with her. She now has the beginnings of a prolapsed colon, and there is no way to fix it without major surgery - which she is too old to endure.

Monday morning we will be calling the local vet to get a prognosis and possibly to send her to sleep. She is in such pain and is so uncomfortable - neither Fred nor I can stand seeing her like this any further. Her quality of life has gone to a point of almost nonexistance.

I feel so blessed to have had her in my life for 21 years, and Fred fell in love with her when he first met her 2 years ago; he has continued his adoration throughout her trials and troubles. Yet, at the same time, I feel an immense emptiness in my heart at thinking of her not being there when I get home at night, of not having my head stepped on in the morning during her demand for food...

I know that it will be for the best, as she does not deserve to live in pain, but instead have dignity and love, remembering both Fred and myself as loving creatures who cared for her to the very end. It does not, however, lessen the grief we both feel at having to say goodbye. We were both hoping to have her for a few months longer, at least until the baby arrived.

I will be holding her to me for as long as I can, cuddling her to me and making sure she knows I love her. And we shall see...

Images

Silken fur
Green-gold eyes
Pretty poses all for mama

Head bumps
purrs of love
Paws patting on face

Scolding when late
Inspecting paintjobs
Climbing ladders for high perches

Jack-rabbit long legs
big, big ears
long tail wrapped around you

Toilet-paddler
midnight butter-eater
finicky kibble-muncher

Brat-Catt
Rumple-furr
Pantaloon-butt

My kitten
My sweet-face
My dearest sweet babu

21 years young
Venerable ancient one
Shades of Bell - my loving sorrow


~M

1 comment:

Kylanath said...

It's always hard, even if you /know/ that one day you will have to do this. And they know when it's time and know that they've been loved. You have my sympathies hon *hugs*

If it's possible I strongly recommend vets that will make housecalls. It lessens the trauma on all parties to be in a comfortable environment, and more importantly being together at the end (some vets won't let you in the room at their office when they perform the deed). After going this route when we had to put my puppy to sleep, I can't imagine taking any creature of mine into a vet office to have this done, regardless of how large or small they could be.