Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Glad I brought a book...

Yesterday was my first OB appointment. I met up with some of the nurses and dr's I normally only talk over the phone with, which was cool. So, here's the blow-by-blow...

Got there at 1:20, checked in, and the nurse immediately tried to grab me before I'd even paid my co-pay (apparently they weren't busy at the moment. LOL).

I'd filled out all the questions in my little questionaire, but they didn't even look at it, just asked all the questions verbally... Which made me wonder why the questionaire.

Peed in a cup, got my BP taken (normal), my temp taken (normal) and my weight taken (ACK! I've gained weight! and apparently it's all above the waist!). Sat while they tested for sugar and protien leakage in my pee (nope, everything's fine). Sat to wait for the Resident to come in.

My resident was Dr Galic, who is a very nice, plump, short, East Indian woman. She asks me questions, does a breast exam, and a pelvic exam, including a pap smear. In the midst of setting up for the pap she asks if there's anything she can do to make me more comfortable. My reply "Well, you don't have to do the Pap...". Hey - she asked. Was handed a cup of glucose to drink for the 1 hr glucose test.

Afterwards, we tried to hear the baby's heartbeat with a dopplar, which wasn't cooperating. So, we pulled in a portable ultrasound and looked. I got to see the baby for the first time, as it wiggled and squirmed from being pressed by the ultrasound wand. I giggled, and it squirmed more, so apparently it startles when I laugh. We did get a picture of it, though Dr Galic admitted it is probably the worst pic she's ever taken. You can barely tell anything is there - but since I was there when it was taken, I was able to point out the highlights to Fred (here's the round head, the arm, etc) over dinner.

Got cleaned up from being gooped, and re-dressed, was sent out into the lobby to wait another 30 minutes for the 1 hour glucose test to finish. Was called back into the room and they took 8 vials of blood (they're serious when they're testing for stuff).

Did the check-out interview with Dr Galic, where she let me know to make an ultrasound appointment asap to determine actual size and how far along I am, and then my next appointment with a faculty doc, since I have BCBS, 4 weeks from the 13th.

Went out, got an ultrasound appointment at 8am next Monday, and I'm waiting to hear back on a faculty appointment, since they didn't have any openings at all until after 4 weeks (which is too long).

All said and done, I ended up out of there around 3:30 or so. I'm so glad I brought a book...

~M

No comments: