Sunday, August 26, 2007

Floor? What floor... There is no floor here, only mess.

So, as I have mentioned before, Speedboy decided to spend the school year down with his mom, and do summer stuff with us from this point forward... We decided to take advantage of this, and made plans to clean up (and clear out) his room and use it as a sewing / baby room. Little did we know...

A little over a year ago, I'm sure there was a post that I did that mentioned the horrors of cleaning a teen boy's room. I'd also mentioned that we were going to proverbially string him up should his room end up like what it had been...

Last week, Tuesday, in fact, I started the process of sorting through everything - both in an attempt to get the rest of his clothing down to him within a reasonable amount of time, and to start getting things stored away and un-cluttered from the other parts of the house. 3 bags of garbage later, I finally had 1/3rd of his room clean, had cleared out his closet, and had moved the dresser to another wall after clearing it out. I also set up the crib, boxed up the clothing that was decent, and some of his books, and had stopped - it took about 6-8 hours total, with a few breaks to breath and get away from the messes in there.

Today was Fred's turn, and somehow, I knew he would get the brunt of the mess... I was right:



There was also the issue (I'm also sure I'd mentioned) of him having a habit of hiding his homework, then saying that it was "lost" - and again, he didn't fail us:



So, I've forwarded his secret hidey-hole information to his mum, in an attempt to avoid future issues such as this... Mind you, this is *NOTHING* in comparison to the first time around, and at least we didn't find drug paraphenalia or (in a co-worker of mine's case) finding him *growing* drugs... But it's still annoying.

We're having Salvation Army come by Friday to pick up the mattress and boxspring, as well as the bags of clothes that are simply too small for him to wear (which would be most of what was shoved under the mattress/boxspring).

A positive find through all of this - the tennis shoes I'd purchased him for gym class for Christmas, are still brand-spanking new! And we found them under the bed, too. So, I'll be shipping THEM down, along with other things on this next box shipment. If they don't fit, his brother may be able to wear them, as he's a bit younger, but apparently has bigger feet.

*rolls eyes* I'm so hoping for a girl.

~M

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yikes... That didn't look like much fun!

One great thing about the beds they just got... No Boxsprings and I can see if they stuff anything under it because they have bunk beds! (Josh being the top one) lol!

Along with that I made an effort to fill the underside of the bed with containers for their dirty clothes so no room for anything else. Not to mention they KNOW it's something I have to check on to make sure they are doing their laundry. :D Also i made sure to get around 3 different trash bins to place around their computer closet and their room so they have no excuse for not throwing stuff away! They have been banned from all food and drink in thier room because they haven't shown that they can be responsible with it. I am quite surprised that after 2 weeks they have been cleaning up nicely and yet to do anything more then have a couple blankets out of place come morning. However doing the dishes... that is the one we have to work on hahaha!

Hopefully homework won't be that big an issue this year. With John pulling homework duty (he watches the boys do it so we KNOW it is done), the online system the school has and the fact that I know some of his teachers and his Principal through my work we should have it covered. *crosses fingers* One thing Joshua will quickly learn is that we don't do the "I Lost it" thing. If it's lost then he will go back to his teacher before he comes home (John checks when he picks them up) and get a copy of the work. Also alot of the schools over here now have 2 sets of books per kid. One that stays home, one that stays at school. So all he should have to write down is the assignment and if he doesn't have it the internet portal will. :) Here's hoping his school does it too! :D

When do you find out what bean is? :)