Friday, May 11, 2007

Brown-bagging it...

Every so often, I end up having my brain heading one way, and the conversation another. I won't even notice until after I've piped up with whatever my brain wanted me to say - often to the chagrin of both myself and the amusement of others.

For instance, the other night, I wanted to make something to use up the rest of the black beans I had made a few nights earlier. I settled on a spicy stewed pork cassarole, with beans and rice. Quite tasty, especially over fresh-made tortilla chips.

Fred had mentioned afterwards that he was going to have to brown-bag his lunches until his next paycheck. We were sitting discussing lunches, dinners, and the success of yet another of my meals, relaxing in front of the telly.

Suddenly, Fred lets one loose - and I mean, it's a loud one. I am used to it by now, and don't think anything of it. However, apparently my brain is still stuck on him brown-bagging his lunches, and I somehow think that he might want to take the rest of dinner with him to work the next day. Without warning, I pipe up with...

"So, you wanna brown bag that and take it with you for lunch tomorrow?"

Fred pauses, then busts out laughing. I suddenly realize what it was that I said, and in what context it was taken...

I can't breath. Tears are leaking out of my eyes, and my face is red. My stomach and sides hurt. I am slumped over on the couch, and unable to do anything.

Fred is faring any better, since he's reacting to my laughing fits. Then I start responding to his... The cycle continues on for about 10 minutes, with the two of us ending up still getting the giggles for several hours later.

I still hurt... and it's still funny.

~M

No comments: