Saturday, January 27, 2007

Witches Weekly

Does science play a role in your spiritual beliefs? Does it compliment or contradict, and in what ways?

Well, hmmm... That's a tough one. The practical side of me says that, since I attempt to be spiritual in everything I do no matter what, then I have to say it does - or at least, it touches my spiritual beliefs.

There's something to be said about attempting to separate church and state - but church and science is a different thing altogether. I don't think that anyone can *truly* remove science from their lives, not anymore... I think you'd have to move two generations to simply get away from the fact that we all get immunized from the get-go anymore - and most of the population ends up in a hospital just being born.

But, does it play a role in my spiritual beliefs? I suppose - I don't believe that the world was created in a ridiculously small amount of time. I don't believe that the sun is swallowed each night and given birth to the next morning... As humans, we have proven what happens, why there is a day and night, and that the earth is, indeed, round.

It's a difficult thing to answer, honestly - I don't think that it either compliments or contradicts it - it's just there. My personal beliefs simply don't reflect it, because I accept it not as a spiritual thing, but a physical aspect of my reality. It's there, I have it, I have the ability and (luckily) the luxury of utilizing what science has learned, and I accept that as we go further along, there will be new advances in both science and technology.

I believe...

that my actions have consequences, and that those consequences are created directly from my own choices.

that it's not how much you have in life, but what you do with it.

that it's up to each individual person to create the life which is good for them that doesn't hurt others.

that each person has the ability to help one another when they see someone in need.

that it is each person's responsibility to better themselves, and in so doing, they better the world.

that it is better to give than receive.

that there is a force inside of each person, and it is the reflection of whatever higher power you happen to recognize.

that I have the ultimate control over myself and my action.

that I do not have to harm others in order to make myself feel better about me.

that I need to honor those who came before me, accept that I too will pass, and try to leave the world better than it was before.

that I need to honor all things which give their life for both my physical and mental comfort.

that my spiritual comfort is directly proportional to the actions that I take in my life.

that the rituals that I do are for me to focus on what I need to do, in order to take action for myself.

that praying is good, but doing is better.

that no one else has to believe anything that I do.

that no one has the right to tell me how to believe.

I don't know that this is really an answerable question. I may not be understanding the question - then again, it could be that I'm making this much more difficult than it really is...

~M

No comments: