Wednesday, January 17, 2007

If it feels like I'm dying, and it sounds like I'm dying...

Am I dying? The jury is still out on that one - but I do feel and sound like I'm dying. I've come down with the same bloody sinus infection/cold that I had two weeks ago - that I had two weeks prior to that, and that everyone around me is insisting on giving BACK to me. Bloody hell.

This last weekend probably didn't help. Instead of being warm and taking care of myself, I spent the weekend at Silver Falls Campground, at Courtesan Carnival. I'm not saying it's cold, but my GRANDMOTHER was warmer in a December freeze-over than the cabin was that first night. Yee gods!

The event itself wasn't actually all that bad. I had a good time catching up with people, reading, and generally simply hanging out. It had snowed prior to us being up there, but we managed to make it up there and back with very little trouble. Thank heavens for front-wheel drive vehicles!

Saturday night was better. They'd had the fire going since Thursday night, and it was only Saturday that everything got warm enough for us to be able to fall asleep comfortably. I suggested that next year, they need to winterize the windows as soon as they arrive on Thursday, and then start the fire - that way, everything can be warmer, FASTER. They agreed - apparently it hadn't occurred to them. *rolls eyes*

Monday we turned the car in, and Fred stayed home to take care of me as I felt like crap. All I wanted to do was sleep - all he wanted to do was dig up the magic wand and make me feel better. LOL. I was hovered over, and the cat was quite upset with me being sick, so she hovered as well.

Tuesday found both Fred and I rather upset at the fact that it was snowing - and had been snowing - since around 5:30 am... Neither of us had asked for it, and Fred was rather perturbed at the idea, as he was stuck on a bike. I called into work as I STILL wasn't feeling well... Interestingly enough, at 7 am, Beaverton School Districts had not closed the school - but by the time poor Speedboy had trudged his way to school, they'd closed them, so he was back by 9 am. Fred's boss closed the company at 10:15, and it took Fred until 3pm to get home because Tri-Met had shut down all busses going into and out of Milwaukie transit center, where he normally picks up the first of 3 busses to get home. He sat there for an hour before someone from Tri-Met actually came over and told him.

This morning pretty much everything is still shut down - While supposedly the 56 (the only bus which runs up and down our street) is running, it's so erratic I wouldn't have been able to make it in even remotely on time. Since I am STILL feeling shitty, I called in again - this time leaving a message for someone else, as the phone extensions weren't working, AND sending an email in as well. I'm not sure if anyone is even there, at the moment.

While I know that those of you from the Mid-West and East coast may sneer at the paltry 2" of snow we got, we have a lot of hills, and a prediliction for ice under the snow - and on top of it - which leads to a lot of accidents. Since most people here don't know how to drive in snow at all (and freak out when rain falls for the first time in 3 months), it's normally simply safer to stay at home. Two 56 busses got into accidents with civilian drivers, and seven school busses also had accidents - three of them with trees.

I'm currently listening to Benny Hill on the BBC in one ear, and my cat yelling in the other... She's had some issues with her tummy lately, and is in need of stool softeners, poor thing. I'm loathe to take her to the vet, so am going to be looking online for something over the counter that can work for her in the meantime. She's 20, so unless its absolutely necessary, I don't want to deal with her on two or three busses heading over to the vet and back. It's traumatic enough for her, and even more so for those within hearing range - she has a mouth on her that rival's a longshoreman's.

~M

1 comment:

Kylanath said...

Dayum. You got lucky with 2 inches. I got 5 as well, and turned around and came home after the bus I was on got stuck and rolled backwards for a good 30-40 feet in downtown Portland.