Thursday, October 12, 2006

Let's say I break into your house...

I'm not normally political here - I believe that people have a right to believing in whatever they choose to, as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else. I also believe that people have the right to believe those things without having to hear others rant on about their own beliefs (the old "if you don't like it, don't read it / look at it / consider it" thing is OH so right at times).


But every so often it comes to my attention via friends who are like-minded (or those who love to play devil's advocate - which I *LOVE* to play), and it just strikes me as totally, directly right on... The following gem, for example, was sent to me via Mum...


A lady wrote the best letter to the Editorials in ages!! It explains things better than all the baloney you hear on TV.


"Recently large demonstrations have taken place across the country protesting the fact that Congress is finally addressing the issue of illegal immigration. Certain people are angry that the US might protect its own borders, might make it harder to sneak into this country and, once here, to stay indefinitely. Let me see if I correctly understand the thinking behind these protests.


"Let's say I break into your house. Let's say that when you discover me in your house, you insist that I leave. But I say, "I've made all the beds and washed the dishes and did the laundry and swept the floors; I've done all the things you don't like to do. I'm hard-working and honest (except for when I broke into your house).


"According to the protesters, not only must you let me stay, you must add me to your family's insurance plan, educate my kids, and provide other benefits to me and to my family (my husband will do your yard work because he too is hard-working and honest, except for that breaking in part). If you try to call the police or force me out, I will call my friends who will picket your house carrying signs that proclaim my right to be there. It's only fair, after all, because you have a nicer house than I do, and I'm just trying to better myself. I'm hard-working and honest, um, except for, well, you know.


"And what a deal it is for me!! I live in your house, contributing only a fraction of the cost of my keep, and there is nothing you can do about it without being accused of selfishness, prejudice and being an anti-housebreaker. Oh yeah, and I want you to learn my language so you can communicate with me."


Why can't people see how ridiculous this is?!



It's been one of those issues where I've hemmed and hawed about how I felt - but this particular analogy really put it into perspective... Is it the right perspective? Well, I don't know about that. I am not going to say whether it's right or wrong. But I will say that for every country I've ever **VISITED**, I've attempted at least a modicum of their language to show them that I am willing to learn. I have never ONCE assumed that someone knew my language if I wasn't in a predominantly English-speaking country. I also have never asked for anyone in another country to pay for my way, or my board or room, in return for doing their menial jobs.


I don't mind learning other languages, I actually rather enjoy it. I don't mind learning about other cultures - each one is rich in history (moreso than my own country, comparitively), and I love to learn about what it takes to make, say, a cup of tea. When you're in my country, however, just as those who helped me in France, Germany, Hungary, the Czech republic and Ukraine, I expect you to learn to speak my language. And if you're going to stay here, then you do so legally.


This is NOT a nazi-ism - it is a truth-ism. I don't believe that America is the end-all, be-all of societies (just ask my friends - they'll tell you EXACTLY what I think of political policies here at times). I do believe, however, that if I were to go live in Ukraine, I'd learn to speak Russian and Ukrainian. I'd go through what it would take to live there legally, and would never expect them to learn my language to make it easier for me to live there. That's just not the way the world works.


If you are here illegally, then you need to go back home and try for LEGAL citizenship for you and your family. When I get my paycheck at the end of two weeks, I don't enjoy knowing that part of my taxes go to paying for a war I don't believe in - neither do I like knowing that part of it goes to shelter your ass because you couldn't get here legally. I'm sorry that your country is in turmoil. I'm sorry that you feel you need to leave. There are other, better ways than sneaking across the border to live off other people's earnings.


~M

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i find it very obvious that u don't live overseas. i do actually, live in ukraine, but i am american, and yes, i don't expect them to learn english either, but it would be very difficult to learn russian AND ukrainian, and also pointless, no offense. i'm only learning russian, and i've never had an issue of people not speaking russian.

Merripan said...

Actually, I've been to Ukraine, and each of the actual UKRAINIANS I've spoken to (those who recognized themselves as Ukrainian Nationals, NOT Russians), spoke both languages - and preferred Ukrainian... Perhaps, if you were older, you would understand the nuances of having national pride in your country's history and language, and wanting to preserve it. It's not pointless - what's pointless is your comment in the first place - you completely missed the point of the post. Try reading it over again and comprehending.