Monday, October 02, 2006

I do...

It started out like most mornings... I woke up around 4 am to Fred kissing me goodbye and wishing me a good day at work. We said we loved one another, and he took off for work. I then promptly fell back asleep into a really odd dream (been having a lot of those lately - have no clue why).


I woke up at 5am, noting that the lights were on - but they had been off at 4. I was confused... Then looked over and found Fred surfing on the computer. Wha....? I thought.


Turns out, the back wheel of his bicycle decided to freeze in its tracks about a mile from home, causing him to have to carry it all the way back here... at 4am... So, he decided that it would be a good idea to fix the bike today, so as to be able to head to work tomorrow...


Whilst getting ready for work, I mentioned that I would pick up the money for the rent, and he took out his debit card. He handed it to me with his pin number, and then said to deposit all but $20, since that's what he owed the gut truck (otherwise known in my circles as the roach coach). And then he told me to keep a hold of it for a while and not give it back...


I looked at him quizzically, and he said "I'm no good to you dead... Unless I miss my count, I have no cigarettes left. So, don't give it back for a while." He's been trying to quit smoking for a while now, and he decided that he was ready.


And we hugged, and I said thank you - at which point his eyes teared up, and he said to me...


"I know it's not our anniversary yet, and I don't have a ring to give you - hell, I don't have much of anything - but I would be honored if you would consent to marry me and be my wife..."


I, of course, said...


"I will," and we both proceeded to cry on (and at) one another for a few minutes, telling one another we loved one another dearly.


I was so sappy and out of it that I wore two different color socks to work today...


So, yes, it's official - we're engaged. No, we haven't set a date yet, and no, we probably won't have a huge wedding. We may have a pretty good-sized reception, but no big wedding.


~M

1 comment:

lola h. said...

WHOOT!!!!

omg - that is SO AWESOME!!! congratulations! i'm so thrilled to hear this. remember that a huge ring and a huge wedding mean nothing but debt, so do what you can do when you can do it and don't get hung up on the material things. you two are so good together, this is super news! whoooooo!!!!