Sunday, July 30, 2006

Long and Short Tourney Reminder... And other things...

Fire and Steel will be performing both Friday and Saturday night. This is the ONLY SCA-sanctioned event that they will be doing this year, so be sure to catch them. They will be passing the hat for the Portland Community Transitional School both nights for donations of toys and cash.


If each person going to Long and Short were to give $1.00 and one toy, the children at the Portland Community Transitional School would have a fabulous Holiday season.


Please donate to this worthy cause. If you have questions regarding the Portland Community Transitional School, please contact Frederick the Reckless, troupe leader of Fire and Steel, at frederick_the_reckless@yahoo.com.


Thank you.


And on to other things... Honestly, there hasn't been too much to blog about lately. My life, while not boring by any means, does not shimmer with scintillating sparkles of interesting commentary and happenings.


On the other hand, at least it doesn't suck ass at this point. Got the raise I was waiting for, and am now working for only $2 less than I was in 2000, at my favorite job (at least, until the company closed its doors - another victim of the dot-com age). I'm all twitterpated about that.


Also, I get to do more fire fleshing practice tonight, which should be fun. I'm in need of also learning how to eat, which may happen tonight - not sure. Right now, I really need to wake up. Fred and I were awake until almost 1:30 last night, talking about our high school years, and since we normally go to bed around 11pm at the latest, it threw off everything in my body. I just got out of bed about an hour ago, but I'm still waking up...


I get to do some grocery shopping today (yippee), and then do some baking (more yippee), and possibly some laundry - though I may throw Fred onto that, if he doesn't go with me to the store (insert evil grin here).


The Luscious Lilith survived Blog-a-thon, which I applaud her for. Not only did she manage to post entries each half-hour for 24 hours, but she has really good taste in music. I know this because she decided to use the combination of mine and Geoffrey's idea to post the lyrics of songs which touched her, and why... The scary part - Geoffrey and I came up with the idea practically at the same time, without talking with one another prior. *chortle* I love my little brother.


In the spirit of said idea, I figured I'd add my own two cents worth of at least one song I adore...


Crystal

Stevie Nicks

1973


Do you always trust your first initial feeling
Special knowledge holds true, bears believing


I turned around and the water was closing all around like a glove
Like the love that finally found me
Then I knew in the crystaline knowledge of you
Drove me through the mountains
Through the crystal like and clear water fountain
Drove me like a magnet
To the sea
To the sea


How the faces of love have changed turning the pages
And I have changed, oh, but you, you remain ageless


Like the love that finally found me
Then I knew in the crystaline knowledge of you
Drove me through the mountains
Through the crystal like and clear water fountain
Drove me like a magnet
To the sea
To the sea


I adore Stevie Nicks in general... This song was originally written (as noted) in 1973 and was found on 7 different albums by Fleetwood Mac and one that was the collaboration of Buckingham and Nicks, and only recently became re-popularized with its release on the Practical Magic soundtrack. Interestingly, Lindsey Buckingham was the one who originally sang this song, though it's Stevie's voice that I end up hearing throughout the song on the recording I have (from the PM soundtrack).


I listen to the song and it reminds me of how I feel about Fred, and how much I adore him. He, as the song says, is the water closing all around me like a glove, holding me safe and sound... It's an amazing feeling.


~M

No comments: