Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Reflections, changes, and a big drop...

So, it's now 2008. Strangely (or not), I feel no different than I did yesterday. Then again, it's hard to feel different when you're busy doing other things that takes your brain off what calendar day it is.

Over the past year, there have been some major changes in my life, most all of them good:

*I got a new job with a company that, so far, I like working for. Not only that, but the work is not horribly difficult and there are plenty of opportunities to expand out of the call center and into other areas. It's also closer to home, which is nice.

*I found out I was pregnant, something I've been wanting for a while, and both Fred and I were completely ecstatic about it.

*I got married to my best friend - the surprise wedding of the century in our circle of friends, really, since both of us had been swearing that we were NEVER going to do that whole matrimony thing ever again...

*We got a new kitty baby, who is both odd and shy, yet loving and snuggly.

There were less than stellar moments in the last year, too...

*Speedboy decided to try and turn over a new leaf, so moved down with his mom. While this is wonderful for him, and a great chance, we still do miss him.

*My dearest of feline companions passed away after an 8 month battle with renal failure.

*My back failed after several weeks, and I am now in physical therapy.

So, all in all, there were an equal amount of ups and downs, all sort of balancing themselves out.

For me, the new year came while I was sleeping. I lead such the exciting life, what with having an extra-large medicine ball stuffed into the front of my pants (it's not really a baby - I'm smuggling wiggly chocolates - they're heavy!)... I decided not to go to the New Year's party at Mandarin Palace, and instead stayed home to fix the belly band so it gave me more support, and then went to sleep around 9:45 or so.

Fred went to the party, though, and apparently had a good time, from all accounts. I'm glad he went, since it's so rare that either of us gets to go out and really party down. I'll probably have a moment after the baby is born, and Fred can stay home with Elizabeth. :-)

Speaking of Elizabeth - she dropped over the weekend, which would be why I had to fix the belly band. I now have a "belly bowl", as Fred calls it,which gives just enough extra support when I'm going through the motions of getting up or sitting down so that I'm not feeling like I'm getting a hernia.

Elizabeth herself is slowly moving and stretching for the most part now, rather than heavy kicking and fluttering. I think she's biding her time until we least expect it, and then when we least expect it, she will start her entrance. Not even out of the womb, and she's already asserting her independence. Definitely Fred's kid. LOL.

One of my co-workers is talking about starting a betting pool and giving the proceeds to Elizabeth. I told her I wouldn't mind - it would be a nice way to start a college fund, eh?

Meanwhile, the party plans are proceeding, and I am hopeful that I will be more relaxed once the house is clean.

~M

No comments: