Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Fuzzy Logic

Shady update here... She's doing SO much better in the last 5 days since we started her on the renal therapy. Granted, she's completely unpleased about the sub-q injections and the squirts of laculose - but she's getting used to it, and at least doesn't struggle in the morning when I end up giving her shots.

She's been eating like a fiend in comparison to what she had been doing, and is generally perkier than she had been. She's glossy, and starting to lose the washboard that had been her backbone. I'm hoping she ends up gaining a pound by the end of this month.

I'm so very happy that she's feeling so much better. While I know that I can't have her forever, I really didn't want to have to put her down if it was something treatable, and something that won't negatively impact her quality of life.

She's gotten to a point now where she's pretty much accepted that whatever I do is going to make her feel better, even if she doesn't like it. She gripes about it, but won't struggle too much - though she hasn't been snuggling with me too much since the injections started. I'm hoping things will be better once they stop - if they stop... We'll see.

I have to take her in again around March 9th. Hopefully things will be MUCH better by then and she will be healthier.

I have to admit - I was totally terrified to go back to the vet on the 9th to get the news of what was wrong with her. I've had her since she was itty bitty - she turns 21 in July... It's difficult for me to face the eventuality that she will be gone, and it got smacked in my face on Friday how close she is to saying goodbye.

I have decided that, if we cannot give her a good QUALITY of life, where she is not in pain and no longer enjoys herself, then it will be time to say goodbye and let her go. Until then, however, I am going to work as hard as I can to give her the best of everything.

I love my puddin' tat.

~M

1 comment:

Jeanne S said...

*hugs* I know it's hard...and I really hope everything goes well.