Thursday, December 21, 2006

MAY THE BIRD OF PARADISE FLY UP YOUR NOSE

If you've never heard this song, I highly recommend that you track it down and listen to it. It's a catchy tune, and one that I've loved since I was first exposed to Dr. Demento 12 years ago. In case you were wondering, YES, I am in THAT kind of mood today.


Recorded by Little Jimmy Dickens
Written by Neal Merritt

[E] One fine day as I was [B7] walkin' down the [E] street
Met a beggar man with rags upon his [B7] feet
Took a [E] (spoken) penny from my pocket,
In his [A] (spoken) tin cup I did drop it
And I [E] heard him say as [B7] I made my re-[E] treat.

CHORUS
May the bird of paradise fly [B7] up your [E] nose
May an elephant caress you with his [B7] toes
May your [E] wife be plagued with runners in her [A] hose
May the [E] bird of paradise [B7] fly up your [E] nose.

I was way behind one day to catch a train
Taxi driver, "said we'll make it just the same"
But a speed cop made it with us,
And as he wrote out the ticket
I stood by politely waitin' for my change.

CHORUS

Well, my laundry man is really on his toes
Found a hundred dollar bill among my clothes
When he called me, I came runnin',
Gave him back his dime for phonin'
And I heard him sayin' as I turned to go.

CHORUS

No comments: