Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Final Countdown...

I'm in the home-stretch and getting ready for Turkey Day... If you just landed here, we decided to do something completely different for Thanksgiving. Don't get me wrong - I love turkey. I do. I just don't like to deal with it every year.


SO - while I did pick up one, it's going to be cooking sometime in the future - possibly for our christmas dinner. Instead, I decided that we needed to do something a little more festive, with a little more OOMPH. So, I'm doin' Tex-Mex. I'm making Chicken and cheese enchiladas, home-fried tortilla chips, cornbread with serrano chiles, roasted corn, lime juice and queso fresco, and home-made pico de gallo (that's pronounced guy-o for you gringos out there). There will also be a fresh squash medley that is pan-fried with onions for a veggie, and salad brought by Bishy, one of our guests.


I love mexican food. I love the spices, the flavors, the smells, and the ease of cooking it. It's healthy (for the most part) and it's really fun to make, too. Here's my Pico de Gallo recipe:


Pico de Gallo with corn and black beans
serves 8-12 people, 2-3 days...


This is best done 24 hours before you serve it. That gives time to mix all the flavors together. Easy-peasy, and really tasty, too. Make sure you season it when you mix it, and taste and re-season if necessary when you serve it.


6-8 roma tomatoes, seeded and diced small
1 large red onion, peeled, and small diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 serrano chile, minced
1 cup corn, roasted (you can used frozen or fresh)
1 can cooked black beans, drained
1-2 bunches cilantro, chopped
lime juice
salt
pepper


Mix everything together. Add the lime juice, salt and pepper to taste. This lasts in the fridge about a week - unless you're in my family, at which point it lasts about two days - three at the most.


~M

No comments: